Wednesday 11 January 2012

My First Week In Stuttgart


My first week in Stuttgart has been an interesting experience. I have already learnt a lot in the 5 days that I've been here. For instance understanding the train system was an adventure. I have also learnt that Germans drink a lot of coffee and like to offer you one at least 10 times a day.  Not being a big coffee drinker this has been a bit of a surprise for me. The cars driving on the different side of the road has also been a shock, and I have had to look twice when crossing the road. But these differences have been really interesting for me and I have loved having to relearn which side of the car to get into.

While I am here I expect to learn more about the culture of Germany. I have already experienced different aspects of their culture and I am excited to discover new elements of their lifestyle. I would like to learn about their family lifestyle in particular and compare it with my own lifestyle in Australia. I also hope to learn more about the language and become more fluent in it. 

As I had my first day of real classes today I am looking forward to becoming better at using German grammar. The teachers only speaking German in class is a bit confronting at first but I think it is helping me to understand the language to a greater degree. I hope that by the end of these 6 weeks I will be very familiar with the German language and that I can use my grammar and vocabulary in appropriate places. At the moment I feel a bit intimidated when speaking to German people but I hope that I will gain confidence as I practice my speaking and listening. I am excited about my future adventures in Germany.

4 comments:

  1. Whitney, sounds like you have taken your culture shock really well, good on you! :)
    I definitly agree with the intensity and confrontation of the class, but I guess if it wasn't like this we wouldn't be forced to learn, and learn at such a fast pace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah i feel exactly what you are saying about the cars and the class, you only look twice when crossing the road? i think i must look so stupid, kinda like my head is on a swivel stick every time i even contemplate crossing the street :P however i think this wont take long for any of us to grasp. looking forward like you to a time when we completely understand the teacher :) it wont take long, im confident of it

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hope you didn't find it too much of a shock. I think if you keep trinken the boot litre beers you will be well on your way to learning all about the culture things you want to. its the best way. re-learning which side of the car to get into is a confusing thing, i sympathise with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i also thought a dog was driving a car one time, alas it was a person. frances and i go to clubs and use "hallo ich bin aus australien" as a pick up line and they love it and u can chat with people. u should try that. alcohol helps u speak better.

    ReplyDelete