Monday 23 January 2012

Just a little something extra


So today I’m home sick and I decided to write an extra blog because there is nothing else to do. It is kind of frustrating that I don’t know what medicine to take, and that I am not confident enough in my speaking ability, nor do I know the area well enough to take myself to a doctor.  So I decided that rest was the best option. I think it’s the small comforts of home that make you miss it. Like how all of your stuff is arranged in the bathroom, how you know where to go to look for snacks if you’re hungry or even just something as insignificant as your pillow. Like I’ve said previously, I do love it here. I think it is just the challenge of settling into the area and environment that I need to get past, just like moving into a new house. 

The description for one of my photo albums says that I think I see a new castle every day. While this might be an exaggeration it represents how amazing and filled with history Germany is. On Saturday my host sister took me and Kai to Tübingen and the Ritter Sport Chocolate Factory. It still surprises me that there is so much to see and do in Germany and I am really enjoying getting to visit so many old and historical places. Tübingen has the feel of a student town, with the university based there, and like most of the cities in Germany it is a really beautiful place. Almost everywhere I walk I see something that makes me feel amazed and in awe.
                                                   
                                                       Ritter Sport Chocolate Shop
                                                        Entrance to Tübingen Schloss

I am starting to realise that people here are similar to people in Australia. They seem to hold the same values and care about the same things. There is some graffiti in Tübingen that represents the students’ attitudes to politics and economy and to me this is not dissimilar to some of the things written on the bathroom walls back home. 

                                                                Interesting Graffiti

I am also enjoying the fact that I could go from one place in Europe to another without much hassle and for a relatively cheap price. I haven’t planned anywhere special to go yet but knowing that I have the option to is really cool. At the moment I am really excited about the possibility of seeing the Dropkick Murphys play in Ludwigsburg, which is only about 30 minutes from me. The tickets are only 30 Euros! So yeah, Germany is proving itself to be pretty damn awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-64CaD8GXw&feature=related 

 ^ I'm Shipping Up To Boston - Dropkick Murphys

2 comments:

  1. Woo for blogging!! I freakin love ritter sport chocolate. So nomtious!

    Hope you're feeling better soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whittney,
    sounds like the things you have done here in Germany are really fun and really interesting. I understand being homesick is difficult, as I suffer it at times, but just think - you are here in Germany doing awesome things and you will go home and miss this place and your temporary daily routine!
    I hope your homesickness eases up! :)

    ReplyDelete